uFactory, is releasing their 3rd generation arm, the “Swift” which looks to be a nice improvement on their previous arm the uArm metal (Note: I own a uArm Metal and reviewed it here). The uArm was traditionally a servo based arm, which, if you read this blog, know that I am not the biggest fan of. However, this time around they are delivering a “Pro” version which has both steppers and encoders. This can provide a series of benefits:
- Improved accuracy, linearity and repeatability even when bumped or overloaded
- The ability to manage acceleration, deceleration
- Allows a training mode where the arm can record the position you put it in (this is done with the encoders, not the steppers)
In addition it looks like they have added a few more nice capabilities to the uArm including:
- Improved Software (the software in the first version was already pretty nice.)
- Different end-effectors including a claw and a laser marking head.
I wish them luck, the product looks like a winner and has already exceeded the funding goals. The link the the Indiegogo site is here.